Back to map

Michele Sanmicheli, the genius and his works - Palazzo Canossa

Palazzo Canossa


Canossa Palace is one of the best known private palaces in Verona. It was commissioned in 1529 by Count Girolamo di Canossa to Sanmicheli; the latter conceived it according to the new dictates of the Tuscan-Roman mannerist architecture. The original form of the façade was altered in 1761, when it was made an attempt to cover up the roof overhang with the addition of the balustrade loggia decorated with statues by Giuseppe Antonio Schiavi. 



This last modification of the building occurred when Tiepolo painted 'Hercules Ascending to the Temple of Glory' in the vault of the central hall. The eight statues on the balustrade symbolise arts, sciences, and virtues. The palace has two wings ending in loggias that extend towards the Adige River. The wings are not coeval with the rest of the building; the right wing is by Lelio and Vincenzo Pellesina and dates back to 1665/67; the left wing, at the time of Sanmicheli, had only been begun and was completed in the 18th century.