Back to map

Palazzo Bentegodi-Ongania

The place name 'Leoncino' is a diminutive derived from the name of the nearby Via Leoni. In 1708, there was also a tavern, towards the Bra, called 'Leoncin d'Oro'.


Pindemonte Palace stands at number 5 of Via Leoncino and dates back to the first half of the 16th century. It belonged to the Pindemonte family until the beginning of the 17th century. Then, in 1783, it was first purchased by the Ongania and later by the Bentegodi. It is not known who commissioned its construction and pictorial decoration. 


The façade of the building has remained largely intact, although a balcony was added above the entrance portal in 1783. The Ongania coat of arms stands out on the parapet. The construction of this palace dates back to the mid-16th century: it has harmonious lines and its façade was entirely frescoed with monochromes by Battista Del Moro in the decade between 1550 and 1560.  


In the four main backgrounds of the lower floor the following scenes are depicted: 'The Meeting of Vetturia and Coriolanus', 'Sacrifice to Jupiter', 'Sacrifice to Diana', and 'Solomon and the Queen of Sheba'. The last portrayal is the only one that depicts a scene with a biblical theme.

On the main floor, each of the six false recesses contained a monochrome figure. Starting from the left, it is possible to see these allegorical figures: Concord with a pomegranate, Juno with a peacock, Mercury stepping on the defeated Argos, Hercules picking apples from the garden of the Hesperides (these are the only coloured elements), Industry with a staff and, finally, Peace.