Back to map

Miniscalchi Palace

Miniscalchi Palace is a fine example of the Gothic style of the 15th century. In the 16th century, while retaining its façade, it was enlarged and adorned with frescoes by Michelangelo Aliprandi and Tullio India. The frescoes, however, were damaged by wartime bombing: an initial restoration, commissioned by Count Marcantonio Miniscalchi in the early 19th century, was followed by a second restoration between 1951-1953 to repair the severe damage caused by the war. 



The impressive and monumental façade of this palace overlooks Via Garibaldi, 7: it was here that around 1880 the Miniscalchi family erected the large palace, which was based on a design by Gustavo Strauss (later modified by Sizzo-Combi). The façade consists of three floors: a ground floor that forms the basement, a main floor, and a mezzanine. The current state of the building does not allow the subjects of the frescoes to be clearly identified. 


Originally, in the frame between the central windows of the top floor was the 'Judgement of Solomon'; the short intervals were decorated with festoons, while the larger ones with statues: Diana (on the left) and Minerva with the shield (on the right). The main scene, on the main floor, represented 'Damocles with a sword on his head': it was enclosed in a frame, like a painting. The moralising character of the two depicted scenes is certain, as both belong to the genre of images of justice.